Oh my... I feel so out of touch with my bloggy buddies.  I really didn't mean to take such a big break from blogging but sometimes life just gets in the way. :)

I normally don't post about family things because that's not what this blog is about.  However, my shoestring budget comes into play on this issue and I'd like to hear if any of you have had a similar experience and if you were able to do anything about it. 

We had a wonderful week long vacation in Florida where I thought I'd be able to update my blog (yeah, didn't happen, next time I'm going to ask for one of you cool bloggers to be my guest poster, lesson learned.) 

Anywho,  we were scheduled to get home last Friday.  Thursday night my 5 year old was up all night long with a terrible stomach bug.  There was no way we would be able to fly home on Friday with him in that condition.  We paid a small fortune to have our flight re-scheduled for the next day.   The airline told us there were no special vouchers or discounts for medical issues. 

The more I think about it the more frustrated I am with the airline.  I watch the news and I know that over the past several years airlines have been struggling.  Some going out of business and others constantly adding fees and taking away perks for the passengers all the while.  I understand that they have to cover their own rear end and that giving a special fare to someone changing flights due to illness opens a whole can of worms(ie; what is considered a "medical condition" worthy of a flight change discount and those faking illness to get a cheaper flight change fee). 

But for those who really do need to change a flight due to illness the charge is highway robbery.  We paid more than half of the cost of 4 round trip tickets to reschedule.  There was no discount for illness, instead a "too bad so sad, you're out of luck" attitude. 

Do they want me to bring my vomiting, fever-running, running to the bathroom every 15 minutes little guy on their plane?  At this age they don't make it to the bathroom until it's too late.  I mean, seriously!?

Obviously, we wouldn't do that to our boy because it wouldn't have been fair to him.  It was bad enough that we had to take him the following day, he was a little better but not great.  (He was a trooper though and we were very proud of him.)   

Another reason I'm disgusted with the hefty fee we paid is that our original flight was full, so the airline was able to re-sell our seats to someone else.  So, we paid for our original seats, then we paid an outrageous price for our rescheduled flight, and then someone else paid the airline again for our original seats! 

While it would've been nice to have our flight re-scheduled for free I knew that would never happen and did not expect it.  I did expect to pay a reasonable fee, maybe $50 or $75 a person.  Instead we paid more than our original one-way ticket cost totally blowing our budget.

Any of you ever have this happen to you?  Did you write the airline?  Did they do anything about it? 

I plan on writing the airline to voice my concerns... I'll let you know how it turns out.




I heart Sanibel Island!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top