If you have read my blog before you probably know that I'm a big fan of Ballard Designs. I love to browse their catalogs for inspiration but rarely buy things because of their hefty prices. One of my best bargains ever was of a Ballard's bar stool look-alike that came from K-Mart... you can read all about that suh-weeet find here. :)

About a week ago my highly anticipated Ballard's catalog arrived... it always brings a big smile to my face when I see it in the mailbox. It's like when you're a kid at Christmas and your mom gets that big fat JC Penney's catalog that is so thick and heavy you can barely lift it- then you go through the millions of pages of toys circling every picture of the toys you want Santa to bring you. That's how getting my Ballard's catalog makes me feel, except I wish there was really a Santa to bring me everything I circled. Sigh...

Anywho, this catalog was featuring some design work by Suzanne Kasler.  I've seen her stuff in Ballards before, always very soft and romantic with muted tones... usually very pretty stuff .  I excitedly opened my catalog ready to be inspired and found this...

 Photo courtesy of Ballard Designs

Ok, very muted tones of creams with natural wood, nice..  pretty cream vase collection... wait a minute. 

What are those things all over the wall?? 

Wait, are those what I think they are?!?  Antlers spray painted white?!?

Insert huge GASP here... They are antlers spray painted white!! 

Seriously Ballards?!?

Photo courtesy of Ballard Designs

Wow... these are just not pretty.

Know what the kicker is??  They are charging $249 for a set of 5. 

Excuse me... I just fell off my chair.

I so DO NOT get this look...  it is such a weird concept. 

They are made of plaster so no animals were harmed but that's not even my biggest problem, as a decorator I find them to be unattractive and just plain weird.  I don't have any other words to describe it... maybe ugly. 

The description on-line for these lovelys states that Suzanne Kasler is known for "her unique eye and eclectic accessories" like these antlers.  Like maybe Ballards knew these were pretty weird so used words like "unique" and "eclectic" like maybe they weren't totally sold on them either??

I think Ballards took a risk with this look and failed... big fat F. 

Don't worry though Ballards, I still love you. xoxo

What do you guys think??  Am I being overly critical... should I give these ugly unique antlers a chance??  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top