If I have a love/hate relationship with garage sales, why would I want you to do it.
Well, the love outweighs the hate... let me show you why.
Here's why I hate garage sales:
- They are SO much work.
- They require tons of time to go through all of your
junkstuff, especially if you're trying to do a major purge like me.
- They require lots of thinking (what should I price all this
junkstuff, I'm not just going to give it away, I paid good money for it and it's practically new! But, I want someone to buy it...)
- They take up lots of time. You sacrifice your weekend to the sale. Plus, all the preparation, purging, pricing, etc. Lots of late nights pricing/organizing while the kiddos are in bed.
- Usually it's really hot and muggy outside during garage sale season in my neck of the woods. I do not enjoy sitting in my hot garage when I'm oh so close to my cool and airconditioned house. (Does that make me a wuss?!)
- Customers who want something for nothing. Don't offer me a quarter when I'm asking $2 for something that originally cost $30. $1 yes, quarter NO.
- My husband, aka. the purging maniac, tries to get me to sell things that aren't for sale, like our children. Just kidding! More like the crock pot, it takes up lots of space and we don't use it everyday but Hello... I totally use it all the time in the winter!
Here's why I love garage sales:
- They force me to get rid of
junkstuff I don't use. I am purging from the whole house! I pulled so many clothes out of my closet that it filled up my garage sale "holding area" office! The toys that are unmanageable will be purged to a manageable size (I hope?!). I am blessed with a generous family who likes to spoil my boys. We have a TON of toys. So many that they don't even notice when something is missing. I rotate the toys every 4 or 6 months so that they have "new" things to play with. Even so, we have an abundance that are outgrown or just not played with enough and they are going to the sale.
- $$$MONEY MONEY MONEY$$$!! My
junkstuff earns me money! This outweighs all of the negatives in the list above. If you are on a budget having a successful garage sale can give you some extra guilt free cash. Maybe take a little weekend getaway and not have to feel guilty about pulling money out of savings. Maybe you desperately need a new dishwasher, maybe you are saving up for a trip to Disney, maybe you are trying to get out of debt. Whatever it is, garage sale money can give your fund a boost without taking from your day-to-day budget.