I was so excited to get 2 big boxes of paint supplies in the mail today!  My cool aunt who happens to be an artist sent me some goodies.  The stuff I was most excited to get was some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint samples and wax! 



I don't know about you but I've been drooling over that stuff ever since it started popping up all over blogland and pinterest.  I have a dining room set that is in dire need of a makeover and the chalk paint is going to be just the thing. 
I mean really, any paint would work but I want to paint it right where it is, in my dining room... sitting on carpet.  I don't want to move it because it is SO heavy, not to mention the fact that it is about 25 degrees in my garage right now.  Brrrr!

Since the chalk paint requires no sanding or priming I can just lay a drop cloth down under the table and start painting, no advance prepping.  It also doesn't smell bad so indoor painting won't stink up my house and kill my brain cells.  Perfect for a lazy painter like me who wants to do it inside. 

You may be wondering why I didn't just go buy some samples instead of making my poor aunt send me some... well, we have no Annie Sloan dealers around here (lame), the closest dealer is about an hour and a half away.  And, you know you can't trust your computer monitor to choose a paint color, I learned that HERE when I ended up with a free sample of green paint that looked like Kermit the frog instead of a green apple. 

I went ahead and slapped some paint on one of my chairs right in the middle of my dining room (and didn't even use a drop cloth... living on the edge I tell ya!) 



I put on 2 coats except the old white because I don't think I want white.  The duck egg color is way cool but not a good choice for my living room color scheme which is open to my dining room.  I'm leaning towards Country Grey but it has a green undertone so not sure if that will be what I want. 

These are just the paint colors with no wax, I will be using the dark wax over the top to give it an antiqued look and highlight the designs in the wood which will change the color a bit. 

I also need to choose some fabric to recover the seats.  I'm thinking I maybe should choose the fabric before the paint color.  We have Joann's, Hancock and Hobby Lobby for fabric here but haven't found anything I really love. 

So, have you had any experience with chalk paint?  Any tips for a first timer?  Also, Where do you find inexpensive fabric online?

PS:  Don't forget to sign up HERE for my 2nd blogoversary giveaway!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top