Hello there,  What's shakin'?

I'm no longer going to truncate my posts!

HOORAY!!

I found a way to protect my blog from the loser blog post thieves that I'm going to share with you.  It's not a guarantee that it won't be stolen but it will definitely help deter the loser blog post thieves, aka: scrapers.

After posting about my decision to truncate my posts I received lots of love from my readers saying the will happily make that extra click to read my posts.

Thank You!!  

Some of them said they will continue to read my blog but when they come across a new blog with  truncated posts they won't bother reading it.  They said it just takes too long to go back and explore a blog when you have to make all those extra clicks.

Thanks for sharing, that's good to know, and thanks for still reading my blog!

No one said they'd stop reading my blog because I am going to truncate my posts.

At least no one told me they'd stop reading my blog.  :(

So I started thinking, maybe I'll lose some readers and maybe some new readers won't even bother to read because of the truncated posts.  Even I think truncated posts are annoying.  I'd hate for a new reader to stop by my blog only to leave and never come back again because of my truncated posts.  There has to be a better way.

I did a little more research and found a good solution for Blogger blogs and I will happily share it with you.  I'm no expert on this stuff, just sharing what's working for me.

Down with loser blog post thieves!

Here's what you need to do...

Log in to your Blogger account and back up your template.  If you're not sure how to back up your template check out the instructions here.  DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

If you mess up something in the next step and haven't backed up your template well... good luck with that.

Go HERE and follow the steps.  

I would've listed it here but you can no longer copy and paste from my posts!  


Don't forget to save it to your template.


That's it!

This makes it so no one can select your post and copy and paste it!

This by no means protects you from all loser blog post thieves but it will definitely stop some.

Here are some other methods to stop the losers from stealing your posts:


  • Watermark your photos.  I have been doing this for quite some time (thankfully!).  There are many free online photo enhancer programs where you can do this.  (Photobucket, Pic Monkey I can think of off the top of my head).
  • Link back to one of your previous blog posts in your new posts, some of the thieves disable your links after stealing your content but the dumb ones don't (I think they're all dumb).  This will lead a reader back to your site and off the thieves.
  • Put a copyright footer on your blog and at the bottom of your RSS feeds.
  • Post a Copyscape badge in your sidebar so they know you're aware of their loser thieving ways. (copyscape did not sponsor this post)
  • Truncate your posts and RSS feed.

I've decided to quit truncating my posts because I feel pretty comfortable with the copy and paste option being disabled.  I will continue to monitor the web to see if I'm being stolen from, if the thieves strike again I may be forced to truncate.  But for now, I'm truncation free!!

Do you have any other tips to avoid your blog posts being stolen by losers??  Please share, we're all looking for ways to protect our hard work.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top